Sunday 27 November 2016

A Decent Protein Source or Four MAC Lippies?

When a guy approaches you in the health store, and he's as built as a family Christmas tree, you listen to him when he tells you to buy the 100-dollar, barbell-sized protein powder. Legit, the container was the size of a small child. How?

According to him, it was the best protein powder on the market and it had all these random ingredients that make it top of the notch. As he ran my items through the checkout, he told me it makes you sweat more, and it fills you right up before a workout without giving you that bloated feeling. I'm someone who typically does her workouts straight-after breaky, so this sounded like something I needed. The sweat was just an added bonus.

He admits that I could find protein a lot cheaper in places like Coles or Woolies, but says that they're often loaded with more sugar (and the dreaded fructose) to help the sales of the product. And I thought the health aisle of the grocery store was expensive. In Coles, it would've been like 30 bucks for 18 serves worth of protein; here, it's 100 for 50 serves. With basic maths, that figures out to be two dollars per serve (equivalent to half a smoothie-worth of breakfast).

Unfortunately, I've always been entirely too trusting in the visual sense of the word. So, when an inverted-triangle of a man and his equally built coworker tell me this is the best product worth my while... well, damn, I'll listen. I felt like stick-figure walking into that store. Last time, it was this gorgeous chick that was built enough to make me feel like a weedy teenage boy. I was helpless: please, help me, superior Gods of fitness.

I was damn excited to try out the protein powder the next day. It cost me the same amount as almost four MAC lippies, so it was either be excited or regret my entire life (typical after any big shop of mine). I got up the next day and, just like I thought, the directions insisted on barely a half-filled shaker cup. Fab. So I coupled it with strawberries, figuring I might as well still get some carbs in there.

I chose the vanilla ice cream flavour. True to it's word, the shake tasted like vanilla ice cream  — but with a heavy dose of protein imploding through it. Luckily, each sip had me feeling fuller by the second. It did feel slightly bare, however, like downing liquidised vitamins with a teensy bit of flavour. My best thought would be mincing the strawberries with the protein shake next time for a more fruit-infused flavour.

I will say that buying the Gold Standard Whey was definitely a good choice. Coupled with fruit, the powder helped provide a great start to my day. While working out, I felt neither bloated or famished. It also gave me enough energy to commit to working out at an above-average pace. I worked up a bit more of a sweat — the health-store guy didn't lie.


They also chucked in a free sample of C4 Ripped pre-workout powder (of the cherry limeade variety). It was so violently sherbet-flavoured I felt it kick in almost immediately.

My favourite protein shake still forever stands though as Biofurnace Banana Protein Powder 💗


I have it as a snack straight after my workout. Banana protein powder reminds me there's still some good in the world — plus it tastes fine on its own. Definitely something I look forward to whenever I get back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment